Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Best Ever Foie Gras

Last year we vacationed in Jackson, WY (a Best Ever Family Vacation…if we were writing that blog), and stayed at the Snake River Lodge in the Grand Teton village (the ski resort area of Jackson Hole, which is what the valley is called).

Nestled into the side of the Grand Teton Mountain range at 9000 feet is the restaurant Couloir. To get you have to reserve a ride on the resorts gondola after hours, which requires a reservation (an important pont to remember).  The gondola ride, the view, the food combine to make it a memorable dining experience.

What: pan-seared Hudson Valley Foie Gras with pearl onion confit, cinnamon toast and anise syrup

Why It’s the Best:  True confession, I’ll admit that I not a big fan of Fois Gras.  In fact, the reason I’m voting this as a “best ever” is because the dish… didn’t taste Fois Gras.  I know this is blasphemous to hard core Foie Gras connoisseurs but what makes it a best ever is the creativity of the Couloir Chef, Wes Hamilton.

How We Know:  Ordering Fois Gras, for me, is like ordering the occasional Ruben sandwich.  I'm not crazy about it, but it breaks up the monotomy of ham and turkey sandwiches.   The same thing applies to why I ordre Fois Gras.  I do it to "shake things up" every once and while, and this time it turned out to be one of the most interesting tasting dishes that I’ve ever had.  The combination of the different flavors and textures really created a truly unique and favorable sensation.

Craving Level – Yearly

Reviews & Location - Open Table, Trip Advisor

No comments: